Founded in Halifax in 1802, Saint Mary’s University is the second oldest English-speaking University in Canada. The Entrepreneurship Centre (then called, the “North East Campus Project”) is a landmark new academic building and campus gateway; the project aims to advance a culture of collaboration and partnership for the university’s renowned institutes for business development and language training.
The project offers approximately 29,000 square feet of new classroom, meeting and office space to accommodate the relocation of two existing and extremely successful programs offered by Saint Mary’s: the Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) Centre and the Business Development Centre. The planning and design of this project anticipates and accommodates continued campus growth and expansion that promotes the principles of the SMU Campus Master Plan. Its orientation on the campus and its interior and exterior circulation patterns serve to foster potential connections and future linkages to other facilities – both existing and proposed – on campus.
The North East Campus project aspires to be a symbol of innovation, leadership, and excellence in the field of business development, language training and cultural orientation. Its mandate is to be an extroverted facility that reaches out to the community at large, inviting a culture of partnership and collaboration.
Saint Mary’s University
Moriyama & Teshima in association with Barrie and Langille Architects